Thursday, September 16, 2010

Blogs and Education

Reading the articles for this week was very interesting for me and quite surprising. Because new technology tends to bring out the anxiety in me, I wasn't over-enthusiastic about the idea of blogging. However, I found that the use of blogging in the classroom can be incredibly effective. I clicked on one blog of a math teacher's class. There, students were able to ask questions freely, find assignments, and have discussions with other students in a productive learning environment. One of the aspects of blogging that really stood out to me was the fact that blogs promote an equal learning environment. In a classroom, the students most likely to answer a question given by the teacher are those who are more comfortable speaking in front of their classmates, while those who are more shy have a harder time being actively involved in classroom discussion. Blogging on the other hand, allows those students to become involved without the pressure of having to speak in front of the class or being put on the spot.
The importance of technology in education today cannot be ignored. I think that students need to be able to be taught 21st Centuy skills at school through specific lessons as well as through modelling. Blogs are a way in which students are able to use their writing skills, proactive thinking skills (in finding sources), and internet management skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment